Now that I am walking, I have even less time to dictate blog posts to my transcriptionist. Being a one-year old is a lot of work. I have to do a least one dozen reps of stair climbing every day and run from one end of the house to the other with whatever interesting objects have been placed in the recycle bin. And now that I have shoes, my exercise routine includes carrying sticks up and down the block. This is an important job as many lazy dogs in the neighborhood leave sticks in the middle of the sidewalk. Where is their sense of civic responsibility?
In addition to my more rigorous strength and exercise schedule, I am also engaged in more activities to develop my mental acuity. I have realized that to truly understand any book, it must be read at least six times a day for three months. Occasionally one or two of my books – the ones that mom says have no plot – mysteriously get lost under the sofa. Good thing I’ve discovered this and check regularly to retrieve any missing titles.
In part because I’m such a curious and active toddler, my parents have decided that we need a lifestyle change. So next month we are leaving the crowded, humid, city behind and moving to Bozeman! I’m looking forward to being an outdoor boy with easy access to skiing, hiking, fishing, and mountains! Hopefully you can all visit us out there sometime soon!
An addendum from the transcriptionist and editor:
Yes, it’s true! We are moving to Bozeman, Montana at the end of September. This was actually a pre-covid decision, but the day after we returned from a trip to out there and decided to move, Washington, DC shut down…. The pandemic and recession put our initial idea for a summer move on hold, but with both our jobs staying remote through at least the end of the year, we figured we may as well move now.
Why Bozeman? It ticked all the boxes. It’s not too big, or too small – we think we’ll be able to find a good community and jobs and every outdoor activity we enjoy is only about five minutes away. We have family in the area and it doesn’t hurt that the average humidity is about 30 percent. White precipitation is also known to fall from the sky on a regular basis between December and April.
It was a tough decision, as we’ve loved our time here in DC and being close to Don and Theresa, which has been particularly special for this first year of Cody’s life. But it isn’t really the lifestyle we’re looking for (some of you may be shocked to learn that preventing nuclear apocalypse is a little bit stressful), especially now that we have a child. We’re hoping to find a better work/life balance that is rumored to exist outside of DC! Having a larger yard for the next pandemic (and being on mountain time so we won’t have to stay up past bedtime to play Codenames via Zoom) will be nice as well.
Wohoo! West we go!
Such exciting news! And only a short 12 hour drive from Sequim! So happy to welcome you to the west. Love the pics!
ReplyDeletePS for those of you wishing to post comments, evidently this site has been updated and I couldn’t figure out how to make the comments portion work. I’ve reverted to the legacy version for now. Hope that works for you.
Got to thinking...we were just a couple of years younger than you are now when we decided we didn’t want to live in L.A. anymore and ended up in Idaho. It was the right decision for us and I’m sure this will be the right decision for you. So happy for you!
ReplyDeleteSo happy for you! We're with Sue in welcoming you out west. We were also in our 30s when we decided to head to Tahoe and have a mountain living experience. Cody will definitely enjoy all that Bozeman has to offer. Happy moving!! Carol and Tom
ReplyDeleteVery exciting news! I’m happy that you will be closer and hopefully, we can see you all more often. ❤️❤️
ReplyDelete