Monday, April 6, 2020

Quarantine arts and crafts

Hello family,

Hope you are all continuing to be healthy and to practice social distancing.  Aside from our walks a few times per week, we are staying home and keeping busy with some arts and crafts.

Last week I painted a “barn quilt”, or I guess I should call it a shed quilt, since we don’t have a barn.  Anyway, it’s kind of fun...

I’m having some trouble with my shoulder right now, so I’ve had to take a little break from quilting.  So, I picked up a knitting project that I started ( no exaggeration) 10 years ago.  I probably last worked on it 5 or 6 years ago.  I have about 3/4 of a sweater done, so decided now is the time to finally finish it.  Unfortunately, the skill level suffers after not doing something for several years.  I’m sure no one will  notice the 8 rows I knitted incorrectly before I found my stride...😀

Our most recent arts and crafts project was for the garden.  Pretty fun, huh?  Anyway it was a diversion that made us laugh...and keeps startling us when we glance toward the garden and wonder who is in our backyard.





Speaking of arts and crafts, who would like me to make them a cloth mask?  It won’t be anything fancy or medical grade, but it would be something you could wear if you have to go to the store for some reason.  I have oodles of fabric and they are easy to make, so just let me know if you want one or more.  You can either respond to this post or send me a text.

I have also been doing a lot of reading and would like to suggest that you read “Being Mortal” by Atul Gawande.  The author is a surgeon who looks at how we deal with end of life issues and how we can do it more thoughtfully.  It’s not an easy read, but it is an important one.  I think in particular it could help us frame our conversations as to decisions we will have to make regarding mom/grandma in the not so distant future. 

Finally (and sadly) we see no choice but to postpone the reunion.  Those who responded thought next summer was best, and we agree. We are super disappointed, but we want everyone to stay healthy - and that means keeping your distance.  

On that note, I’ll leave you with a picture of some ducks who decided to “social distance” from the hundreds of other ducks at the park across the street.  It made me laugh.



Love you all..would love to hear how you’re doing!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing some of the projects you've been working on to keep you busy! Those ducks are absolutely adorable. I'm going to try to sew a mask or two with Brian's mom's sewing machine. If that goes horribly wrong, I'll reach out to place my order. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "barn quilt" it is really pretty. Thanks for the pictures. So happy you are in your new place where you have your gorgeous yard and gardens to work in, walk in or just sit and view the beauty and all the bird activity! Sad about the reunion this year, but can't wait for the day when we can all be together. love, Carol

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.