As you have read in the news, many schools are graduating the fourth year medical students early to join the workforce during the pandemic. While AZ is not as dire as NY or other states, University of Arizona encouraged early graduation for those who were eligible (those who didn't have any required rotations scheduled in the final blocks). I was initially uncertain about applying to graduate early as there are many logistical difficulties, but decided to go for it anyways.
As of today, I'm officially Dr. Di Nolfi!
As mentioned, the situation in AZ is not as dire, so we are not being asked to work in the ED as new interns (interns tend to slow everything WAY down anyways). I am also not being asked to start residency early as the residency accreditation body has strongly advised against this. My final months in Phoenix will be spent working a COVID-19 hotline at Banner University Medical Center. Essentially early grads, displaced residents and others take COVID-related calls and direct people to either be tested, seek immediate attention, etc. Residency will begin as scheduled June 17th and I will be moving to Santa Barbara June 1st.
Fortunately Nani is an EXCELLENT impromptu graduation photographer and snapped some photos today to document the day. Tams off to you, Nani ;)
Finally, my school will still be hosting a Zoom graduation on the original graduation date - May 11th. I'll send more info along for those who are interested. We will likely do something similar to Match Day produced by Hummingbird. Stay tuned!
Hope everyone is staying healthy, safe, and sane
- J MD, MPH
WAIT WAIT WAIT. Unrelated by equally important - I have played a few rounds of online Codenames with my friend group during this quarantine. Let's get that going.





Congrats Dr. J! (Hey that has a nice ring to it!). So proud of you and excited for you as you start the career you have been working for since you were in elementary school. All of your hard work has paid off. You are amazing. Sending you much love!
ReplyDeleteAlso, count me in for online codenames
ReplyDeleteGreat news! Soooo happy for you. xoxo ❤️
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Dr. Di Nolfi!! We are so proud of you and happy for you! Can't wait to see you in Santa Barbara!!
ReplyDeleteLoved the pictures!!! Great job Adriana!
ReplyDelete