Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Still quiet on the Southwestern front...




I’m writing my pandemic update from my apartment balcony as it’s absolutely BEAUTIFUL in AZ this time of year. See sunset photo for reference.

Thank you all for all the love and support surrounding Match Day!! Obviously, it was not what we initially envisioned, but it was still a great celebration! Thank you to The Borings for setting up the livestream and The Di Nolfis for throwing one heck of an Extreme Match Day – Home Edition. Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital here I come!!!


I will start my residency July 1st, but will be moving to Santa Barbara by early June for orientation and to get settled. General surgery residency looks very different right now as all elective surgeries have been cancelled to preserve PPE. The beginning of my residency will not be as I expected, but that's okay.

My final two rotations have been cancelled and all clinical requirements are now via Zoom lectures, so I spend most days at home listening to older attending physicians shout, “Can you guys hear me?” over Zoom. Aside from my remaining curriculum, I (and every fourth-year med student) have been spending time reading up on all things COVID-19, as becoming a doctor during a pandemic will be quite the challenge.

Luckily living alone simplifies self-quarantining, and I’ve been trying to keep myself busy. I recently finished Outliers by Gladwell and am in the middle of Michelle Obama’s book. Mom and I have been doing crosswords together over the phone and I’m catching on some binge-worthy tv shows.

Hope everyone is staying healthy, safe, and sane!

Jocee

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post and the pics. I read Michele Obama’s book last year and really enjoyed it. I’m just about to start Gladwell’s Talking to Strangers, but haven’t read Outliers. Do you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.